Thursday, January 21, 2010

let your yes be yes, and your no be no

I saw The Interpreter the other day. The main character stated that she became an interpreter because too many wars were fought based on words that were misinterpreted.

Years ago, Best-in-Laws wanted to know what I would like to receive from them for my birthday gift.
"Oh, I would love to have a wall clock in my studio," I replied. "I want one with a clear face so that it's easy to read at a glance!"
My birthday arrived, and they were very pleased to present me their gift. "We looked everywhere for this, but we finally found it!"
I was a bit confused at it being such a difficult task. Their faces beamed with delight at the success of the venture. I was so surprised when I saw the clock. The clock was transparent!
Wow....
When I asked for 'clear' I meant 'unobstructed' as in no design clutter among the numbers and hands like flowers, or fruit, or dots, or checks, or texture, or....
They heard 'transparent' when I said 'clear.'
No wonder it was difficult to find! I hadn't the heart to say 'transparent' wasn't what I meant.
The trouble with the transparency, though, is that I've had to put paper behind the clock so I could read it!

No comments: